New PennDOT Rule

Plain Community Impacted by New PennDOT Rule – Effective 11/30/2022


PennDOT’s new “Verification of Identity by PennDOT Business Partners for Motor Vehicles Transactions” program requires the purchaser of motor vehicles (including trailers) to submit a driver’s license to complete the transaction. In place of a driver’s license, a new, non-photo ID is available for certain individuals, such as those from the Amish community. However, the process to get this new ID is time-consuming, and you need to have it before making a purchase.

In the past, Pine Hill permitted a customer without a state issued ID to complete the registration and titling by using a credible witness under the PA Notary Law. A member of the Amish community was able to have their driver, with whom they have an established business relationship, complete a Power of Attorney to be able to sign on their behalf. This will no longer be permitted under the PennDOT driver verification policy change effective November 30, 2022.

Pine Hill is obligated to follow this new rule. If a purchaser does not have a valid state-issued photo identification, the title cannot be processed, and the registration transaction cannot occur.


How to Apply for the New, Non-Photo ID

As a service to our customers, we have summarized the process below. We will be happy to talk with you to share anything we know about this new process.

The first step to secure the new, non-photo ID requires you to complete an Affidavit of Exemption for Sincerely Held Religious Beliefs, which can be obtained by calling PennDOT at 1-800-932-4600. Your Bishop or Minister also will need to complete the form. Then, you will mail the Affidavit form to PennDOT.

After reviewing your form, PennDOT will mail you a letter of approval, which you will then take to PennDOT along with the proper birth certificate, social security card and two other documents providing proof of residency. If the wife is applying for a non-photo ID, she is required to provide the marriage license. If you were born prior to 1980, you will potentially need to apply for a State Certified Birth Certificate if you only possess a “Record of Birth Registration” or “Notification of Birth Registration.”

We encourage our customers who do not currently possess a valid state issued photo ID to call PennDOT’s customer service at 1-800-932-4600 or call their local State Representative to obtain a copy of the instructions and Affidavit in Support of Exemption for Sincerely Held Religious Beliefs.